James Thomsen, M.D.
Pediatric Otolaryngologist, Head and Neck Surgeon
Medical Director for Otolaryngology, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- American Board of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, Fellow
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Specialty Fellow
- Georgia Composite State Board of Medicine
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Residency, Department of Otolaryngology/Surgery, Albany Medical College and Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Doctor of Medicine, Wright State University of Medicine, Dayton, OH
- Bachelor of Science, Earlham College, Richmond, IN
- Complex head and neck disorders
- Airway management
- Sinus management
- Hearing loss
- Chronic otitis media
- Medical Director for Otolaryngology, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Georgia Pediatric Subspecialists, IPA, Board Member
American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS), Fellow
American Academy of Pediatrics, Specialty Fellow
American Board of Otolaryngology, Diplomate
American College of Surgeons, Associate Fellow
American Medical Association, Member
Society for Ear, Nose and Throat Advancements in Children, Member
Thomsen JR, Koltai PJ. Sternomastoid Tumor of Infancy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1989; 98-955-959.
Zalzal GH, Thomsen JR, Chaney HR, Derkey C. Pulmonary Parameters in Children After Laryngotracheal Reconstruction. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1990; 99-386-389.
Grundfast KM, Guarisco JL, Thomsen JR, Koch B. Diverse Etiologies of Facial Paralysis in Children. Int J. Ped Otorhinolaryngology; 19 (1990) 223-239.
Grundfast KM, Thomsen JR, Barber C. An Improved Stent Method for Choanal Atresia Repair. Laryngoscope 101: 425-429.
Ornstein J, Thomsen JR, Baker S. Pneumococcal Bacterial Tracheitis. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, May 1991.
Derkay C, Thomsen JR, Grundfast KM. Laryngeal Pathology in Hearing-Impaired Children. Accepted for Publication, International Journal Pediatric Otolaryngology.
Laryngotracheobronctitis and Epiglottitis in Children Chapter. Pediatric Otolaryngology for the Otolaryngologist, 1996.
Adjuvant Therapies for children undergoing adenotonsillectomy, Laryngoscope Supplement, August 2002
SLC26A4 genotype, but not cochlear radiologic structure, is correlated with hearing loss in ears with an enlarged vestibular aqueduct.
King KA, Choi BY, Zalewski C, Madeo AC, Manichaikul A, Pryor SP, Ferruggiaro A, Eisenman D, Kim HJ, Niparko J, Thomsen J, Butman JA, Griffith AJ, Brewer CC.Laryngoscope. 2010 Feb;120(2):384-9. doi: 10.1002/lary.20722.
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Mar;148(3):494-502. doi: 10.1177/0194599812472435. Epub 2013 Jan 10.
Endoscopic posterior cricoid split and costal cartilage graft placement in children. Gerber ME1, Modi VK, Ward RF, Gower VM, Thomsen J.